Alongside a publication, this year we will be celebrating Katya Saunders’ life through an exhibition, visualizing her story through her fashion, photographs and mementos.
Being one of the first trans women in Malta, Katya Saunders was a trailblazer and an icon for Malta’s LGBTIQ+ movement. Katya was better known for her iconic fashion, modelling experience and cabaret performances but when she passed away in 2019, it quickly emerged there was more than meets the eye.In absence of voluntary organisations, and at a time when trans identities remained controversial, Katya quickly created her own support system, sheltering friends and young people who became homeless. Through her actions, her friends insist that Katya metaphorically laid down the red carpet for today’s LGBTIQ scene, to be able to safely come out and live their lives.
Terms of Reference
– To determine, after consulting the MGRM’s team, the content and form of the exhibition.
– To collect and gather material from Katya’s loved ones, and suggest new content when needed.
– To work closely with the author of the publication, and any videographer or photographer, in order to strengthen the curatorial concept, interlinking both aspects of the project.
– To bear in mind the context of the exhibition and where it is to be held.
– Coordinate with MGRM’s team and provide critical input to the exhibition project as well as collect key information and media materials.
– Attend openings and assist with set up/takedown, greet visitors, and communicate about the exhibition.
– Attend discussions/talks in order to bring more online visibility to the exhibition
– In this and all of its projects, MGRM prioritises sustainability and would request that choices and decisions made are not detrimental to the environment.
Bidders must submit a CV, a quotation, and portfolio with relevant curatorial experience while also demonstrating the ability to produce the work being contracted to the high quality being sought.
– Quality of Portfolio presented
– Knowledge of LGBTIQ issues and LGBTIQ affirmative approach
– Technical and Financial Bid
Maximum funding available is of Eur 1,000 inclusive of VAT.
All intellectual property rights belong to MGRM, and the respective donors of Katya Saunders’ materials.
Individuals may propose working jointly with one or more persons given the tight deadlines envisaged. This must be clearly stated in their submission. Bidders are to attach CV’s of each expert.
Following the adjudication, any subcontracting to third parties other than the selected service provider/s needs to be approved in writing by MGRM other than for technical elements such as translations or proof reading.
Bids are to be sent to MGRM on firstname.lastname@example.org. For any queries, please contact Robert Attardon +356 99255559. Deadline is 1st April 2022.
This project has been funded through the Voluntary Organisations Project Scheme managed by the Malta Council for the Voluntary Sector.